The Diagnostic services are run by National Health Laboratory Services and consists of 2 laboratories:
1) D7 Anatomical Pathology Laboratory, New Groote Schuur Hospital, Observatory, Cape Town, 7925:
- The standard services include adult surgical pathology, cytology, and autopsy of natural deaths
- More specialised services this lab offers include: FNA clinic, electron microscopy, foetal and perinal autopsy, placental examination, fluorescence microscopy, EBER CISH, and Her2 BDISH.
2) Paediatric Pathology Laboratory, Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital, Rondebosch, Cape Town, 7700
- The standard services include paediatric surgical pathology, cytology, and autopsy of natural deaths
- More specialised services this lab offers include: muscle biopsy pathology, rectal biopsies for Hirschsprung’s disease, skin and renal immunofluorescence, and electron microscopy.
In addition, diagnostic molecular tests can be performed by the research laboratory at the Division of Anatomical Pathology, UCT Medical School, Observatory, Cape Town, 7925. The tests include: Microsatellite instability testing and MGMT promoter methylation testing.